EDITING FOR SUPERHEROINESLET ME POLISH YOUR MANUSCRIPT SO IT'S READY TO ROCK THE WORLD
ONLY 0.5% OF MANUSCRIPTS ARE EVER TRADITIONALLY PUBLISHED.
YUP, THAT SUCKS.
BUT I THINK THAT THE REASON SO MANY BOOKS DON’T MAKE IT INTO PRINT IS BECAUSE THEY WEREN’T EDITED PROPERLY BEFORE THEIR AUTHORS SENT THEM OUT.
WRITING FIRST DRAFTS IS FUN, BUT THE EDITING PROCESS IS WHERE BOOKS BECOME PUBLISHABLE.
INDEED, I’D ARGUE THAT YOU NEED TO EDIT YOUR BOOK WITHIN AN INCH OF ITS LIFE EVEN IF YOU INTEND TO SELF-PUBLISH TOO BECAUSE, IN A WORLD WHERE TOO MANY NEW WRITERS JUST HIT ‘PRINT’ AFTER FINISHING THEIR STORIES, YOU WANT TO BE THE ONE WHO RESPECTS THEIR READERS ENOUGH TO ENSURE THEIR WORK IS THE BEST IT CAN BE BEFORE IT GOES OUT INTO THE WORLD.
EDITING MIGHT BE WRITING’S PEDANTIC COUSIN, BUT SHE’S THE ONE WHO CAN TURN OUR AMAZING IDEAS INTO SOMETHING PEOPLE CAN TRULY ENJOY.
SOMETHING THAT HAS AN INCREASED CHANCE OF GETTING PUBLISHED, IF THAT’S THE DREAM YOUR CHASING.
THEREFORE, EDITING IS SEXY AS HELL.
AND I JUST HAPPEN TO BE REALLY GREAT AT IT, SO YOU DON’T HAVE TO GRAPPLE WITH THAT RED PEN AND PILE OF PAPERS ALONE, WONDERING WHETHER YOU BOOK IS GOOD AND DRIVING YOURSELF CRAZY WITH CONFUSION.
IMAGINE KNOWING YOUR MANUSCRIPT WAS ABSOLUTELY FUCKING AWESOME AND THAT AN EDITORIAL EXPERT (MOI!) HAD SHINED THAT THING LIKE A CRAZY DIAMOND BEFORE YOU SEND IT OUT TO AGENTS AND PUBLISHERS OR UPLOAD IT TO AMAZON.
IMAGINE GETTING TAKEN MORE SERIOUSLY BY THE PUBLISHING INDUSTRY AND READERS AS A RESULT.
IMAGINE NOT HAVING TO WORRY ABOUT TYPOS AND OTHER CRAP THAT DRIVES YOU CRAZY ANY MORE.
JUST SEND YOUR MANUSCRIPT TO ME AND LET’S GET YOUR BOOK READY TO ROCK THE WORLD.
There are various levels of editing – going from developmental editing, which looks at the text and also adds commentary in order that you can structure your book properly and deal with other issues, to copyediting which works on the text in detail, rewriting where necessary, to proofreading which leaves the wording of the text as it is, but corrects spelling, grammar and punctuation.
In my opinion, since most writers need deeper work on their text unless it’s been professionally read before, I prefer to provide developmental editing or copyediting to my author clients, but all my editing work is bespoke, based on the needs of the client and their particular manuscript, so we can decide together what level of editing you would like for your work.
I believe that women’s voices need to be heard now more than ever and I want to ensure that female authors have the biggest impact possible – however, I feel that can only really happen if writers’ work is polished to perfection as sadly unprofessional errors put off even the most eager readers.
I’m on a mission to get more women’s books written, published and out there changing the world.
I’ve been working as a writer my entire life – I was named as Young Poet of the Year and Writers Inc. Writer of the Year and my first novel, Welcome to Sharonville, was longlisted for The Guardian First Book Award and is currently being pitched as a TV series, so I know a thing or two about how to get this word shiz done.
On top of that, I’ve got a Ph.D. in English (I studied at London and Cambridge and my doctorate was supervised by the famed feminist, Professor Lisa Jardine) and, since leaving academia, I’ve worked as an editor with literally hundreds of writers, some of which are now bestselling authors (complete with billboards at train stations!) and others have got multi-book deals with major houses. A few have even gone on to successfully self-publish their work and become big hits on Amazon. You can read more about me here.
If you want someone to line edit your work, so your words sing on the page, upping your chances of being treated as a contender by the publishing industry or the general reader, I’m your gal.
Some big plusses of having your work professionally edited:
- No more worrying about missing pesky typos and other errors in the text which all writers overlook after working so long on their projects – let my beady professional, objective eye pick up on the issues in your work before agents, editors and readers do.
- No more getting rejected because you failed to correct errors in your work (see above!).
- Get taken seriously by agents and publishers because your text is flaw-free – something they don’t often see!
- Readers will recognise that you’re a professional, even if you self-publish, because your work will read as well as if it had been traditionally published (again, not something that usually happens!).
- You’ll learn how to work with an editor – something which will prepare you professionally for when you get your big book deal!
- You’ll learn about the general standards used for spelling, punctuation and grammar so you can include them in your future work.
- You’ll become a better editor yourself, making creating your incredible next book so much easier.
- You’ll have the confidence which comes from having had a professional editor look over every single line of your work. (If that character changes names in Chapter 4, I’ll notice and sort it out for you!)
If you want to discuss your editorial needs with me, you can arrange a free 30 minute consultation session and we’ll see how I can best help you.
I also ask for a short sample of your manuscript to be sent to me via email before we speak, so I can look at your work’s specific genre and language and assess what might be the right editorial approach.
This will also allow me to give you an accurate quote, as all my editing work is bespoke.
Let’s make you one of the 0.5% who get published!