MANUSCRIPT ASSESSMENTGet a detailed editorial report on your book so you can be sure your work is freakin' awesome and ready to be published
IT’S A CRAPPY STATISTIC, BUT I THINK I KNOW WHY THIS IS THE CASE – AND WHAT WRITERS CAN DO TO UP THEIR CHANCES OF MAKING IT INTO PRINT.
I’ve worked with literally hundreds of authors and NONE of them – not even the ones who later went on to write bestsellers – had a manuscript which was ready to be submitted, let alone published, when they sent their work to me.
If you’ve managed to complete a book, you’re amongst the teeny 3% who ever get to that point and I salute you, but I would also encourage you to now seek the help of an experienced editor or literary consultant, such as lil ole me, to ensure that your book is the very best it can be before you share it with readers.
The publishing world is incredibly competitive, as I’m sure you’re all aware, so it’s my joy to help my writer clients make their manuscripts shine so that agents and editors take them more seriously amongst the hundreds of submissions they receive every single week.
Agents and publishers are looking for reasons to reject your work – so let’s give them some reasons to say ‘Yes’ instead.
I’d also argue that, even if you wish to self-publish, manuscript assessment can help you ensure your book is tip-top before you upload it to Amazon, thus instantly setting it apart from so many others which don’t meet the professional standards readers expect and deserve.
I’m on a mission to get more women’s books written, published and out there changing the world and manuscript assessment is a key way in which I help my clients make their work ready to be seen by agents and editors or in fighting shape to be self-published, thus increasing their chances of achieving literary success.
LET ME LOOK AT YOUR MANUSCRIPT AND I’LL GIVE YOU A 5000 WORD PLUS EDITORIAL REPORT ON YOUR BOOK, ALLOWING YOU TO MAKE IT AND YOUR WRITING SKILLS FREAKIN’ AWESOME.
- It will give you peace of mind that you’ve got a publishing industry professional’s opinion on your work, so you’ll know your writing is really fighting fit when you submit it to agents and editors or self-publish. I don’t even care if you’re not writing a feminist novel – I just know good writing when I see it and, sadly, your cat or mother really aren’t going to tell you the truth about your work or read things the way publishing folks do!
- It will ensure you are taken seriously by publishing professionals and, thus, increase your chances of your work being picked up by an agent or publisher (boom!).
- You’ll get a clear idea of how best to target your book in terms of genre and its commercial appeal, so you know exactly where your work sits in the market and the kind of agents and publishers who will most likely be interested in it. (You can save yourself a ton of rejections by sending your work to the right people!)
- You’ll learn a lot about yourself as a writer, the writing craft and editing, so you’ll grow both creatively and professionally from the experience, becoming a better author and self-editor. (Which is what we all want, right? And it’ll make your next book even stronger.)
- You’ll be able to see what is powerful about your work, receiving all important support and encouragement during the editing process, which is often a tricky time in any writing project, as well as constructive, respectful criticism. (Are you sick of the sight of your book? Well, give it to me and I’ll put the spring back in your step!)
- You’ll finally be able to understand why you never really liked a particular scene as I confirm a lot of your writerly hunches! (This always happens – I think all writers really know deep down what is wrong with their work, but need writing mentors and editors, like myself, to reaffirm it for them. You can even give me a list of questions to answer in my assessment, if you like.)
- You’ll get high-fives for creating powerful women characters and diverse casts and I’ll ensure you’re on track to create a kickass feminist novel, if this is something your work requires and you are interested in.
IF YOU ARE WONDERING IF YOUR MANUSCRIPT IS READY TO BE PUBLISHED OR YOU’D LIKE DETAILED FEEDBACK FROM AN EXPERIENCED EDITOR TO HELP YOU FIND YOUR WAY FORWARD, I CAN HELP.
YOU DON’T HAVE TO WRITE THIS BOOK ALONE.
Sharon is different – sassy, vibrant and with a belief in women’s abilities. She also knows that women, especially as we get older, are not always heard, but we have BIG VOICES when pushed. ANGELENA BODEN
I’m on a mission to get more women’s books written, published and out there changing the world.
I’ve been working as a writer my entire life (I was named as Young Poet of the Year and Writers Inc. Writer of the Year and my first novel, Welcome to Sharonville, was longlisted for The Guardian First Book Award and is currently being pitched as a TV series), so I know a thing or two about how to get this word shiz done.
On top of that, I’ve got a Ph.D. in English (I studied at London and Cambridge and my doctorate was supervised by the famed feminist, Professor Lisa Jardine) and, since leaving academia, I’ve worked as an editor with literally hundreds of writers, some of which are now bestselling authors (complete with billboards at train stations!) and others have got multi-book deals with major houses. A few have even gone on to successfully self-publish their work and become big hits on Amazon.
Whatever route they’ve chosen to publication, I’m proud of each and every one of them and my writer clients have taught me so much about providing compassionate support to deal with the ups and downs of the writing life, as well as offering encouraging, but effective editorial feedback on manuscripts and helping authors prepare kickass submission packages that rock the socks off agents and publishers.
I’ve also taught a lot of literature, critical theory and creative writing courses and basically live in a library (with a cat), so I know my book learnin’ and thus I am able to put my clients’ manuscripts in context in a way which will help them both sell their work and position themselves powerfully in the market. (Yes, I can help you form your author platform and promote the heck out of your work too.) You can read more about me here.
Sharon is a marvel - each session has given me exactly what I needed at the time and I'm so glad I decided to work with her as her coaching and editorial feedback have helped me achieve my long-held dream of having a literary agent.REBECCA ANN SMITH
What you’ll get:
- A 5000 word minimum assessment of your manuscript, looking at the main areas, such as plot for novels or structure for non-fiction, so both the big picture and more detailed issues are examined and you know exactly what is already working in your book and what might need more attention. (Ultimately though, whilst I make suggestions, the work is yours and you have to decide how to proceed.)
- A one-off chance to ask me anything which is bugging you about your book or which is unclear about the writing, editing and submitting process (if you want ongoing support as you submit though, you might try my special support package for writers who are sending out their work -link). I’ll answer these queries in the report on your manuscript, if you give them me in an email beforehand.
- A follow-up email to clear up anything which is unclear about my assessment or about your next steps with redrafting the manuscript, so you are absolutely sure about what should be your next step.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN HAVING YOUR MANUSCRIPT ASSESSED, PLEASE CONTACT ME USING THE FORM TO THE LEFT, GIVING YOUR WORK’S TITLE AND WORDLENGTH AND TELLING ME A LITTLE ABOUT ITS SUBJECT.
I WILL GET BACK TO YOU WITH A QUOTE BASED ON YOUR MANUSCRIPT’S WORDLENGTH. (AN AVERAGE MANUSCRIPT OF 80,000 WORDS HAS A FEE OF £400, TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF THE COST.)
ASSESSMENTS TAKE AROUND 4 WEEKS FOR ME TO DO, BUT I ASK FOR 6 WEEKS FOR PROJECTS THAT ARE OVER 100,000 WORDS. I CAN TURNAROUND REPORTS FASTER, IF NEED BE, BUT I CHARGE MORE FOR SUCH RAPID READINGS.
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT WORKING WITH A FEMINIST WRITING COACH, YOU CAN CHECK OUT THIS PAGE OR READ MY MANIFESTO TO DISCOVER WHAT I BELIEVE. FOR MORE PRACTICAL INFORMATION, PLEASE LOOK AT HOW I WORK.
LET’S MAKE YOUR MANUSCRIPT ONE OF THE 0.5% THAT GET PUBLISHED!